Sunday, February 22, 2009

Truth in Packaging

I'm officially pissed. I gave Melster Candies a pass at Christmas, but they're doing it again for Easter, and this is just unacceptable.

To give you the background I'll have to admit a shameful secret: I love those digusting chocolate-covered marshmallow santas and bunnies. There; I've admitted it; we're talking the equivalent of Peeps, and I love 'em.

Anyway, I'm a realist. I realize that inflation happens -- either prices go up, portion sizes decrease, or both. I may not like it, but such is life.

But Melster is trying to fake us out. Their price remains the same but there are a couple less bunnies in the package, the cardboard container and the individual foil wrappers are the same size, so you think you know what you're getting. Wrong. You peel open your first bunny of the season to find that the 5-7/8" long foil wrapper that in years gone by would have contained a similarly-sized bunny now contains a 2-7/8" long bunny. SHAME, SHAME on you, Melster, for deceptive packaging; packaging your product in foil that is two times longer than the content.

No comments: