Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Curvy and Rude

Daddy's demand of, "Be a lady", was so drummed into me during my formative years that I'm usually annoyingly polite. (Before everyone starts clamoring -- friends don't count. :D) But tonight I managed egregious rudeness.

It took around a year of internal debate before I finally joined Curves because their hours suck so bad. They apparently are after the women-who-don't-work-outside-the-home market, because they close at 7:00 on weekdays, at noon on Saturdays, and aren't open on Sundays. But I finally joined because I like (and I use that word loosely) their set-up best of any exercise program I've seen.

Now that I have become a member, I have discovered one more drawback: what I have termed "second string" employees work on Tuesday and Thursday evenings -- which is unfortunately when I often go. The first potential employee of the month is "Carpet Sweeper Joy". Each time she has worked while I have been there, she spends the time pushing a carpet sweeper around the equipment you're working out on. Self-professed goal? To not have to run the vacuum at the end of the evening. The second charmer is "Stand-Up Fantasia". She takes it upon herself to stand, no dance, inside the circuit and entertain whatever women are unlucky enough to have come in. It is one thing to chat with the women who want companionship, but noooo, she wants to entertain the whole group.

I have always hated exercise in the past, I hate exercise now, I will always hate exercise. It is not a social thing; I am doing it purely out of necessity. I do not feel cheery when I am there; I want to spit when I am there; I count down the minutes when I am there. I resent the fact that whatever benefit I gain from it is momentary; I will not be able to stop when I achieve my goal or phffftttt, that benefit will be gone.

The above things clashed tonight. Turns out that not only does Fantasia think she's entertaining, but she's stupid. Not getting a clue about how annoying I find her from my body language and the fact that I was doing anything possible facing outside the circuit, about a quarter of the way through my workout she came bouncing up to me and tried to start chatting. I snarled, "Do I LOOK like I want to talk?" She quietly said, "No", and went back to the desk. She initially addressed me by name, so hopefully she'll remember who I am and that I prefer silence.

Okay, now granted, I was rude. But I do have a point to make. They demand good money for my membership and that I wear a different pair of shoes on their equipment than I do on the street. But they allow someone to push a carpet sweeper around continuously at least two hours before they close. They allow someone to annoy members. I want to be demanding, too; I want value for my money.

I suppose it'll probably be best if I never need 911 assistance while I'm in there.

1 comment:

Penny Beach Ramsey said...

Good stuff - honest and funny. Stay with it and keep 'em coming. Good luck!